Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Whom Did We Elect?

A Democratic National Committee recruiter stopped me on the street today. She plunged headfirst into a ramble that was appearantly written on her eyelids, for she kept them closed. I easily could have walked away without her knowing, but I was interested to know what the party was up to recruiting on the street now that they had control of the house and senate. On perhaps her fourth or fifth sentence, just as she was breaking through a nebulous ensemble of banalities, she stumbled over her words and came bumbling into silence. I won't forget what she said next. It easily made me wonder just how faithful Democrats, now in office, would be to their campaign promises. What she said was this: "I'm sorry, they have just changed the rest of the pitch on me."